Closes: Until Filled
WANTED: Bear River Head Start Preschool Teacher Assistant for Box Elder County, UT
- Full time (8 hrs/day), fixed hrs, 10½ mo/yr, $10.36/hr with benefits.
- Preschool CDA preferred or be willing to obtain Preschool CDA within two years of hire.
- Experience with children preferred.
- Spanish speaking required.
Click here to download our employment application, or you may pick up an application from the Secretary at Bear River Head Start. Both an application and resume are required and may be:
- Hand delivered to Bear River Head Start, 95 West 100 South, Suite 200, Logan, Utah;
- Faxed to 435-755-0125; or
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bear River Head Start is an Equal Employment Opportunity.
All applications will be accepted until position is filled.
CLICK HERE FOR FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
Under the general direction of the PHS Center Based Coordinator, direct supervision may be assigned according to program needs. The PHS Teacher Assistant will assist in providing high quality, individualized education to Head Start children in a developmentally appropriate environment. The Teacher Assistant will assist Head Start parents in helping their children develop social competency, positive self-esteem, and encourage peer involvement. The Teacher Assistant will assist in recruiting families and children to Head Start for the current school year and the upcoming year.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy, learning environment to prevent injuries, minimize hazards, and provide adequate supervision.
- Assist in promoting good health and nutrition by planning activities that promote personal health and sound nutrition.
- Use the learning environment and routines as a resource to construct an interesting and secure environment that encourages play, exploration and learning.
- Help provide opportunities for physical and intellectual development by using developmentally appropriate equipment, activities, and incorporating differences in learning styles.
- Assist in actively communicating with children and provide opportunities and support for children to acquire and understand verbal and nonverbal communication of thoughts and feelings.
- Help provide opportunities that encourage children to play with sound, rhythm, space, materials, and language in individual ways and express their creative abilities.
- Assist in supporting social and emotional development and provide positive guidance in which children can learn and practice appropriate and acceptable behavior.
- Assist in maintaining an open, friendly, cooperative relationship with each child’s family. Encourage family involvement and support the child’s relationship with his/her family.
- Assist in ensuring program responsiveness to participant’s needs.
- Maintain a commitment to professionalism.
- Assist with making referrals and documentation of disabilities.
- Assist in making decisions based on early childhood knowledge and best practices.
- Help prepare weekly lesson plans and do other paperwork requested by supervisor.
- Be responsible for CACFP paperwork and documentation.
- Prepare, serve and clean-up meals and snacks as needed.
- Be responsible for daily health and safety checklist.
- Have an understanding of and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Assist in making and documenting every effort to include both parents and significant male/female role model to the child in all aspects of Head Start (including, but not limited to home visits, parent involvement activities, meetings with teachers, etc.).
- Assist in actively recruiting Head Start families for the current school year and the upcoming school year in the area assigned by the supervisor.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before class starts to assist with class preparation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Center Based Teacher is the immediate supervisor of the Teacher Assistant.
QUALIFICATIONS: PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Attention to detail and able to complete required paperwork.
- Understand new early childhood research and implement it in the classroom.
- Be aware of multi-intelligences in children.
- Ability to understand the economically disadvantaged and basic philosophy of the Head Start program.
- Ability to work productively under stress.
- Desire to help people find ways to succeed.
- Proactive attitude.
- Tenacity and stamina.
- Integrity and strong ethical principles.
- Good organizational skills.
- Demonstrate ability to enjoy working with families of diverse backgrounds and a variety of cultures.
- Demonstrate ability to be compassionate and patient while setting boundaries.
- Demonstrate ability to be able to delegate and encourage leadership in others while facilitating teamwork.
- Demonstrate ability to be innovative and resourceful.
- Need to have a sense of humor.
- Must pass a background check.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Preschool CDA preferred. Must be willing to obtain Preschool CDA within two years of hire.
- Able to become CPR (adult, child, and infant) and First Aid certified, TB tested, free of communicable diseases, and obtain a Food Handler’s Permit.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking preferred. In some areas bilingual English/Spanish speaking is required.
- If required, the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) to drive the bus on field trips.
- Experience with children preferred.
- Head Start Volunteer preferred.